Monday, May 5, 2014

Perfect Pancakes

(Yesterday) I went out to a birthday brunch at Esselon with my friends (...all my troubles seemed so far away!!!) and it was phenomenal. 
I ordered the pancakes, the normal ones on the breakfast menu with berries, a banana (of course, typical me), and local yogurt with a mint leaf. I had been to Esselon once before, ordered these pancakes, and they were life changing. The maple syrup on the table was local too, and the pancakes were perfectly paired with my frothy chai. 
So let me tell you about these pancakes...
(I dug in too quickly to take a picture, so you should just head over to Esselon and get them for yourself. Let me know if you need a buddy!)
They exceeded my expectations. While they are not perfectly round nor uniform in flavor, their texture is insanity and anomalous in the pancake world with a defined exterior crispiness immediately contrasted with a creamy, fluffy interior. My gosh the goodness did not end there: every once in awhile, I was hit with a nugget of caramel and that flavor was subtle in its undertones throughout pancakes. These pancakes were not overly sweet, and the yogurt with the maple syrup provided adequate tart/maple contrast. I savored each bite, and despite the inevitable fullness, forged on for the sake of experiencing the dish in its entirety and the plate was clear by the end. No regrets. Also, they put a banana up on those pancakes. Clearly they were vying after my heart. They got it. 

As I biked back to school along Route 9 (which was a little more difficult due to the wind in my face and the fullness of my pancake-filled tummy), I contemplated those pancakes. I understand that in both contexts, I was eating with people I love and friendships I cherish. As this year closes, and my people disperse, those pancakes are a dish that will always be delicious beyond my comprehension and serve as a unifier of friends around a table. Food is a memory marker, and ending this year with these pancakes will probably sugar coat this year a little bit. 
I anticipate many more pancake-worthy moments to come. For now, I will welcome the summertime! I will be doing that research thing at Smith for 10 weeks, so if you're in the area and want to go get some good food or bake/cook, drop a line! Would love some food-loving company for some adventures.





1 comment:

  1. Pancake with berries, banana, local yogurt, mint leaf and local maple syrup sounds so good and your descriptions make me want to try it right now!

    ReplyDelete