Monday, April 21, 2014

Easter Chick[pea]s


For the past several years, my family has had to deal with having a vegetarian at the table when we gather to eat for holidays and birthdays. I hate to bring it up or make a fuss about it. I'm perfectly capable of eating the non-meat side dishes, cooking vegetarian dishes to share with others and exercising the sort of "culinary ethics" that allows me to eat the soup made from chicken stock that my grandfather has made because it won't kill me to eat it while refusing to eat it might.

However, I have been pleasantly surprised over the years to see my family keeping my diet in mind (that has since become my mother's after suggesting she read Eating Animals !) and always be supplied with veggie burgers on Fourth of July, meatless sauce on Easter or extra vegetable dishes on Christmas.



But still, I do like to contribute. I usually prepare and bring a vegetarian dish when we gather, one that I can rely to fill me up and that I can share with others. This Easter I introduced a new recipe into the mix that added color to the spread and paired well with ravioli and meatballs we were having (not a traditional Easter dinner by any means, but I think my family is getting sick and tired of the traditional holiday menu that center around a large hunk of meat with all other dishes playing secondary roles.)



So here is the Avocado, Chickpea and Feta Salad that I made for yesterday's feast. It's simple, springtime appropriate and requires nothing but washing, chopping and mixing.

Chickpea, Avocado, & Feta Salad

Yield: Serves 4
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 5 minutes

ingredients:

1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
2 avocados, pitted, and chopped
1/3 cup chopped cilantro
2 tablespoons green onion
1/3 cup feta cheese
Juice of 1 lime
Salt and black pepper, to taste

directions:


1. In a medium bowl, combine chickpeas, avocado, cilantro, green onion, feta cheese, and lime juice. Stir until mixed well. Season with salt and pepper. Serve.

source

-Stacey Ladusch



1 comment: