Sunday, April 20, 2014

Wonton Wrapper Ricotta and Spinach Ravioli

Sharing an old recipe from my blog because it's all I'm craving right now...hope you enjoy it! I don’t know if any of you saw my homemade pasta post but if you did, I’m fairly certain this was the first thought that went through your head: “Oh man, if I made this for dinner my boss/girlfriend/lover/grandmother/best friend’s brother is going to be SO impressed with me and immediately give me that promotion/rent money/diamond necklace/whathaveyou”. And I’m betting this was the second thought: “Oh….there certainly are a lot of instructions ….perhaps I’ll make those frozen mozzarella sticks?” Well I feel your pain, and I am now going to get you that attention you’ve been craving with the help of pre-made magic! I’m convinced that wonton wrappers are one of the best kept secrets. They’re sold at pretty much any grocery store and they can be used for SO MUCH MORE than wontons! You can use them as shells for sweet tarts or cups for mini-lasagna or baked plain for a new take on pita chips or crust for deep fried hand pies and more than that. They’re awesome. I’m using them here to make a simple ravioli that’s sure to please. It’s so quick and delicious. And if you’re looking to impress even further with jarred tomato sauce, you have to get thisone (or any of her other jarred sauces). You won’t be disappointed.

Ravioli (makes about 40)
- 1 package of wonton wrappers
- 1 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
-  1 shallot, diced
- 1/2 cup thawed frozen spinach, squeezed dry
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1/2 tsp ground red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper


Combine ricotta, shallot, spinach, egg, parmesan, red pepper, salt, and pepper in a bowl. Mix well. Set a pot of salted water to boil on the stove. Line a baking sheet with waxed or parchment paper and lay the wonton wrapper out. Top each with about a tsp of ricotta filling. One by one, using your finger dipped in water, moisten the edges of the wrapper. Fold ravioli into triangles and press down edges with your finger to seal. Drop the ravioli into the water in 3 batches and cook for about 2-3 minutes. Remove the ravioli and plate immediately with a drizzle of olive oil, parmesan, and your desired sauce OR place in a large serving dish layering oil, sauce, and parmesan with the ravioli to make a little casserole. Garnish with fresh basil if you’re feeling fancy.

1 comment:

  1. This is really useful, I've been wanting to make a tart but wasn't sure what to use for the crust, until now. Wonton wrappers, brilliant!

    ReplyDelete