Saturday, April 5, 2014

Veggie Burger Round Two




I know that Hannah already posted a lovely veggie burger recipe, but I couldn’t resist posting another. When I was on my crazy health kick, during which I would make my own granola bars, bake my family kale chips, and further torture them by purchasing all-natural peanut butter, I came across this veggie burger recipe. When it comes to cooking, I have a hard time following even the simplest directions. I liked this recipe because it’s not set in stone. It’s not like baking, where precision is typically key. I could experiment with different spices until I liked the flavor and intuitively change the constancy by adding more or less of an ingredient without having to follow the recipe exactly. I initially got this recipe from pinterest, but it’s from a blog called hungry runner

http://www.hungry-runner.com/2012/10/03/easy-black-bean-burger-recipe/

What you’ll need:
1 sixteen oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 large tomato, diced
1/2 ripe avocado, diced
4 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 large red bell pepper, diced
3 generous T flour or oats
1/2 tsp. oregano
dash of chili powder
dash of cumin
dash of salt
dash of pepper
whole wheat or whole grain “buns”
What to do:
1.) In a medium-sized bowl, mash the black beans using a fork until a pasty mixture is formed. (If you have a food processor you can use it to pulse the beans until they are mashed well.)
2.) Toss in the remaining ingredients, except for the flour or oats, and mix until everything is well blended.
3.) Add the flour or oats one tablespoon at a time, mixing well before adding the next.
4.) Sprinkle in a few more dashes of each spice and mix one more time.
5.) Using your hands, shape the mixture into 4 separate patties.
6.) Place patties on a greased pan and bake at 350 degrees for 7-10 minutes. Flip patties and bake on other side for another 7-10 minutes.
7.) Serve with toppings of your choice! We used avocado slices, tomato, red onion, and fresh Dijon mustard!

2 comments:

  1. I didn't have a burger recipe before (I think that was Jennifer) but these look amazing! I am always skeptical of veggie burgers, but these ingredients are quality. Props.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Veggie burgers are so good! I also recommend black bean burgers as a vegetarian option.

    ReplyDelete