Thursday, April 17, 2014

Enraged


Your restaurant reviews were brilliant, and I've never been happier to see a bunch of great papers.  Because here, here is an article that just made my blood boil.  Seems the number of professional restaurant critics who are men is twice the number of women.  Go forth, Smithies!  Change this stupid world!

The article ends with this delightful anecdote, about a woman who had been nominated for a James Beard Award:

I'll never forget my welcome into the food-writing world as a young critic — my first time at the James Beard Awards. At an after-party at Momofuku, I remember being introduced to a group of men in their late 40s, all established names in the food-writing world, all wearing tuxedos and looking dashing. I was thrilled to be in such company, these men whose careers I aspired to emulate.
And then one of them glanced at me, saw my "nominee" badge still affixed to my dress, and scoffed, "I think you can take off your badge now." All four or five of the men standing around guffawed. The message was clear: Go home, little girl, and let the grown men talk.

1 comment:

  1. I am now enraged with you. This kind of thing, among many others, is one of the reasons I chose Smith.

    ReplyDelete