Sunday, April 27, 2014

Scones!

I think we can all agree that scones are delicious, especially homemade, fresh out of the oven scones. 
Here are a few variations on my mother's scone recipe



Basic Ingredients
5 cups flour
2/3 cups sugar
2 tbsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 lb butter (cut in small pieces)
2 cups half and half

Chocolate Orange Scones: 
Add 1/2 cup of chocolate chips and the zest of one orange

Orange Pecan Scones: 
Add zest of one orange and toasted pecans (or any nut of your choice)

Lemon Ginger Scones: 
Add zest of one lemon and 1/2 cup of candied ginger. 

Procedure: 
1. Mix dry ingredients together in mixer bowl
2. Turn on mixer, add the butter pieces and extra variation ingredients
3. Slowly add half the cream
4. Stop mixer, scrape bottom, then add the cream to bottom of the bowl 
5. Turn on mixer again (do not over mix)
6. Throw dough on table and knead by hand to form a big ball
7. Divide said big ball into 4 smaller balls, then form those into wheels
8. Cut wheels into quarters
9. Place on parchment lined sheet pan
10. Bake at 375 for about 15 minutes. 

ENJOY! MMM



3 comments:

  1. Wonderful recipes, I love scones with a passion unwonted to anything else. Ever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One thing I've really been craving recently is some good clotted cream and lemon curd! When I was in London I'd always slather my scone with both and drink it all with a good strong cup of tea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Scones are probably the one baked good that never really appealed to me, especially not at Smith where the texture/consistency is more like... a biscuit than a proper scone. The only scones I've really ever enjoyed are from Alice's Teacup (in Manhattan) where they come up with some really creative flavors depending on the season. I'd be tempted to make these myself to see just how difficult it is and what it is that makes a good scone.

    ReplyDelete