Saturday, April 12, 2014

Red Quinoa Salad

Is there anyone left in the world who hasn't let their guard down and opened themselves to quinoa? If I am describing you I think it's time to broaden your horizons. Quinoa is delicious. In case you didn't know, it's technically a seed, but most commonly used to replace pasta-like grains. And in my opinion it's much better than other healthy grains like bulgar or wheatberries. Now, I may talk a big game sometimes and act like I love healthy food, but to be perfectly honest I really don't always feel that way. If I had six weeks to live I would just eat bowls and bowls of Pasta with Tomatoes and Basil. For literally every meal. Hot or cold. No joke. But we all have to suck it up and get healthy sometimes, and when I need to do that I like to turn to quinoa. It's surprisingly tasty and versatile. You can treat it like oatmeal and make a breakfast quinoa (stay tuned) or treat it like couscous and make a Greek-style cold salad with veggies and feta. But my favorite way to make quinoa is to use the red version of the seed in a dish that's a little sweet and a little spicy, with peppers and carrots. It's amazing. Try it and I dare you not to begrudgingly admit sometimes being healthy tastes good. This is a perfect side dish, but I think it makes for a great meal on its own too.

Quinoa
- 1 box red quinoa
- 1/2 cup almonds, chopped
- 2+ tbsp. olive oil
- 1 large white onion, chopped
- 3 large carrots, chopped
- 1 large red pepper, chopped
- 1 tsp. dried cumin
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- salt and pepper

Cook the quinoa according to the directions on the box. In a large saucepan over medium heat, cook the onions for about a minute. Add the carrots, spices and salt and pepper and cook until the carrots are tender, adjusting the heat as needed. Add the peppers and cook for another minute or so, then add the quinoa. Cook for a 2-3 more minutes, then remove from heat. Serve at any temperature!

2 comments:

  1. I love Quinoa! Especially now that I'm adventuring into a world with very limited gluten possibilities... I never knew exactly what it was (I can get by by just saying that it's an ancient thing...without any wheat...yeah...) but now I know! I love your recipe as it combines sweet and spicy carrots and peppers! I love the combination of sweet and spicy, just like those Mexican hot chocolate cookies Ginnifer made.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES Quinoa! Keep spreading the world, its such an underestimated food.

    ReplyDelete