Saturday, April 5, 2014

Parsnip Fries with Spicy Honey Glaze

Truth-telling time: before making this recipe, I'd never eaten parsnips purposefully. I'm sure I've accidentally encountered a bite or two in a salad or fancy chicken dish in my past, but I've never sat down and thought "yeah, I'm going to have parsnips tonight!". Honestly, if I'd seen them hanging out on the counter in the past I may have thought they were bloated albino carrots (hey- it could be a thing, I don't know!) I'm a very boring veggie-cooker. I like to stick with my onions and carrots and broccolis; a red pepper here and there, it's been a good life. But I've been hearing buzz about parsnip fries for what is likely several years at this point. Needless to say, I've been curious, but never curious enough to actually go out and buy the damn things. I finally gave in when I discovered several just minding their own business in the refrigerator over my recent Spring break. As I was wondering what to do with them and simultaneously flipping through a recent edition of Bon Appétit just for funzies I saw the words "honey", "butter", and "parsnips". I knew fate had intervened and I should just get cooking. And boy, am I glad I did. No more carrot fries for this girl! Try 'em. You'll see.

Also- be sure to check out me being the last person to discover things about technology: I'm so into Instagram videos now! I think I got a pretty good one of the fry process. See it here!
Fries (from Bon Appétit Magazine)
- 2 lbs. parsnips, peeled and cut into desired fry size (I like mine on the thin side so they really crisp up!)*
-  1/4 c. olive oil
- salt and pepper
*Parsnip note: These bad boys have a weird woody core that should be removed for maximum tastiness. After trimming the ends and peeling the parsnip, quarter it lengthwise. Slowly run a knife between the core and the tender outer part of the parsnip. You won’t be able to get it all, but as much as you can will do the trick!
Preheat the oven to 450° F. Coat parsnips with oil on a large baking sheet and season with salt and pepper. Roast parsnips (tossing occasionally) until tender and golden, 35–40 minutes. While parsnips roast, make honey butter.

Glaze
- ¾ tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp. honey
Place red pepper, butter, vinegar, and honey in a small saucepan over medium heat. Stir until butter is melted. Drizzle spicy honey butter over parsnips. Consume with your fingers immediately after photographing for blog before parsnips have even begun to cool. Worth it.

Processed with VSCOcam with t1 preset
Processed with VSCOcam with f2 preset
Processed with VSCOcam with f2 preset

4 comments:

  1. I have never heard of these, but they sound great. What would you compare the taste of parsnip to? I've always been nervous to try them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would say it's a cross between a carrot and a potato- surprisingly delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these! We make them a lot but I have never made the glaze. I will be trying them this way next time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did you find it difficult to core, cut and shape the parsnip into fry-like pieces?
    I also never heard of these but i think it's the glaze that really creates the intrigue.. I hope i see these on a menu one day to try them.

    ReplyDelete