Sunday, April 20, 2014

India House

I wasn’t sure what to expect as I made my way downtown for my first India House experience. I had heard both good and bad things about the restaurant, so I entered the well-lit and colorful building off State Street open-minded and eager for the dining adventure. The man who greeted my friend and me at the door was inviting and pleasant: always a good indicator for what awaits. The restaurant’s décor and color scheme matched the host’s warmth, and the dining room was just the right size to capture cozy but not crowded. There were more tables seated than I would expect on an early Tuesday night, and even so the room wasn’t exceedingly noisy. We instantly became comfortable in a secluded corner.

Opening the menu I was mildly overwhelmed by the extent of the food options. I was glad to see so many vegan, vegetarian, and gluten free options (as my friend is the latter). The “Bread Bar” section even has vegan whole-wheat and gluten free naan alternatives. Across the menu pages, festive crown icons popped out at me indicating new dishes, such as tamarind chicken bhel and glazed garlic lamb. The main dishes are broken down into three categories: specialties, tandoori, and curries (which come in different degrees of spiciness). 

After what felt like the hardest decisions of our lives, we placed our order. I started with vegetable samosas. These lightly fried pastry pods filled with delicious curry-seasoned peas, potatoes, and onions were out of the kitchen in no time, and into my stomach even quicker. With hungers diminished for a moment, we anticipated the next course. I had ordered lamb vindaloo, specified on the menu as the right choice for “heat-seeking patrons”. Although the description was a tad intimidating (and definitely accurate), the fiery taste of the dish was not aggressive. On the contrary, the zing of the spice truly accompanied the otherwise simple meat and potatoes. I stole a few bites of my friend’s tandoori chicken and the nutty curry flavors cooled my taste buds. To top off an already decadent meal with dessert, I sipped a cup of hot chai (selected from their persuasive dessert menu). The warm liquid was a perfect blend of sweetness and creamy, with notes of cardamom and cinnamon. In the end, we were more than satisfied and had leftovers to take home.



Contrary to the lavish meal we devoured, the service was average. Despite the “Help Wanted” sign in the front window of the restaurant, four different people waited our small table. The extremely helpful and kind Indian couple (presumably the owners) came by to ask how we were doing and to take our order. However there were two younger waitresses that also assisted us. It was apparent that they were both uncomfortable coming to the table and answering us when we had a question about a dish on the menu. One of these waitresses later shook off (rather than pick up, or even replace) my friend’s silverware onto the table from her empty appetizer plate. We watched in awkward shock. For the expense of the restaurant I would have preferred and expected a more well-trained and confident staff.

Although India House is quite a pricy restaurant for an average college student (around $15-23 for an entrée, our bill was about $60), it is definitely a place to splurge on once or twice for the experience. The price, and beautiful presentation of the food, unquestionably reflects the time and pride that the owners put into their restaurant. Upholding the nature of true Indian food, all the dishes were bursting with authentic flavors and rich spices. Along with their traditional recipes visible on the menu, the restaurant accommodates their customers’ needs from alternative dietary options to the different intensities of spiciness in their curries. India House is a perfect example of a culturally traditional restaurant adapting and venturing with new and creative dishes. Who knew that true, and alternative, Indian cuisine could be found in western Massachusetts.

1 comment:

  1. I've never heard of a waiter shake off utensils. Wow! I'm really glad the food was worth it.

    ReplyDelete