Sunday, April 20, 2014

Matzo Sandwiches to the Rescue

This week is Passover, and being an Ashkenazi Jew the lunch pickings have been slim to none. For those who don't know, during Passover all grains, legumes, and rising agents are not allowed. As I am observant, this meant some of my staple foods, peanut butter, beans, soy, bread, and many more, were out of order.

This is where matzo comes in. Matzo is the only grain-containing food allowed over Passover, as it is what our ancestors ate when escaping from Egypt. It was created when there was not enough time for the bread to rise, so it cooked in the sun to look like a large flat cracker.

Bemoaned by many, and often compared to cardboard, I personally love it, because of its ability to be the BEST vesicle for an open face sandwich. It is pretty much pre-toasted, very flat, sturdy, absorbs flavor, and has a wonderful crunch.

Some of my favorite are cream cheese + any kind of fruit, cranberry + turkey, cottage cheese or nut butter + honey +banana, avocado + sriracha, or the classic matzo pizza.



My ancestors clearly knew what they were doing, and even if they didn't, matzo was a fabulous accident.

2 comments:

  1. This is creative and yummy looking. I have been eating Matzo over the weekend and have been trying different combinations to make it flavorful (like spread with butter and prune preserve butter) but this savory combination looks great. I know you say it's a classic but I would have not thought of it had it not been for this post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I chose the word classic after being informed by my roommate, who went to a Jewish boarding school, that matzo pizza is a staple for most Jews. So no worries! I only more recently learned about it too, although it makes perfect sense that it would be a classic, its delicious!

    ReplyDelete