Sunday, March 2, 2014

A Deviation From the Plan

My plan this week was to write about cholent. It was featured on NPR last week in a conversation explaining the origins of the crock pot. It's a fascinating article, and I have a few different recipes up my sleeve as it is my significant other's favorite food. However, I was up last night and I came upon this buzzfeed post that I just could pass by. It's called "23 Comfort Food Mash-Ups That Were Meant To Be." Although some ideas threatened to make me violently ill, others sounded very delectable.

I have always been one of those strange people that likes to cook experimentally and mix things that weren't meant to be mixed. I  get these strange food cravings from my mom, while my sister always looks on in disgust. I love the taste of spicy jam with chocolate, honey with feta cheese, and my all-time favorite: chocolate cake with basil. These ideas excite me, and I can't wait to try making pb&j pie and cereal language (and I have been devouring cookie dough with peanut butter for years!).

With that, I encourage you all to look at this wonderful article and experiment with mixing foods that you love, with the potential of creating something amazing.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/christinebyrne/comfort-food-mash-ups-that-were-meant-to-be?bffb


3 comments:

  1. My favorite: Nutella Ravioli. Still Questionable: Mac and Cheese Soup. Buzzfeed is a gem, great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pizza donut? Cookie grilled cheese? These are amazing, and I will be trying specifically those two.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Speaking of odd combinations I remember reading about the 'peanut butter and pickle sandwich' in the NYTimes over a year ago and being curious to try it. Supposedly, it was a big hit and even a staple in the U.S. during the 1940s-1950s and what may have started as a war food turned out to actually be tasty. (I guess it's that sweet, salty, umami combo?) I don't remember what caused its decline but I can imagine it's probably not as disgusting as it sounds.

    ReplyDelete