Monday, March 10, 2014

Latke v.s. Hamentaschen Debate

Every year, the University of Chicago has this crazy tradition of hosting a debate on which food is more better, latkes or hamentaschen. The rules of the debate state the debate must include non-Jews, and that all of the debaters must have a doctorate degree and must debate from their area of study. Since the founding of the debates 67 years ago, many colleges have had their own, smaller latke vs hamentaschen debates, including the one at Mt. Holyoke, which happened not too long ago, on February 27th.

To give some background, latkes are potato pancakes served on Hanukkah, or the Festival of Lights. It celebrates the Maccabean Revolt in the 2nd century BCE, when Jews regained control of the Holy Temple. Oil is very important to the holiday, and it signifies the idea that the kosher oil that was meant to only burn for one day in temple burned for eight days before more oil could be found. Foods that are fried in oil make for the perfect (and unhealthy) holiday meals.

Although many people add many different things to their latkes (flour, eggs, etc.), my family makes our latkes very plain and simple.

Ingredients:

  • Potatoes
  • Salt (to taste)
  • Oil


Directions:

  1. Peel and hand-grate the potatoes
  2. Add salt
  3. Wait 15 minutes for the potatoes to release starch and get juicy
  4. In the meantime, warm up a frying pan
  5. Add oil to the frying pan and let the oil warm up for a little bit
  6. Shape your latke into round, flat pancakes
  7. Fry your latke. 
  8. Enjoy hot and sizzling with sour cream, applesauce or neither! 




I haven't made these in forever, so this picture is from onegreenplanet.com

Hamentaschen, one the other hand, are for a completely different holiday. They are typically made and served on Purim, a celebration of the deliverance of Persian Jews from Haman's plan to exterminate them. Hamentaschen are actually the edible representation of Haman's ears!

My family doesn't have any one hamentaschen recipe, so when I made them for my Jewish Civilization class least week, I decided to try out something new on my own. First, I tried to make them with sugar cookie dough, which turned out to be a complete disaster (as they all fell apart! :O). Then, I set to finding a recipe online. I ended up finding a pretty good recipe at http://theshiksa.com/2012/03/01/buttery-hamantaschen/.

My hamentaschen and cookie basket. 

As far as the debate goes, I'll let you decide for yourself which one is better!  Have a wonderful week! 

5 comments:

  1. This is a hilarious and wonderful idea for a debate. I wonder if one of them wins more often than the other?

    ReplyDelete
  2. More better food? I couldn't decide between the two, or better yet, I'd take both. I can actually imagine that a regular sugar cookie recipe wouldn't hold up to the structure of the Hamantaschen. I really should make them. What kind of jam or jelly did you use? Oh, and a little fun fact: In German latkes are called Kartoffelpuffer or Reiberdatschi, depending on where you're from.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUM. These are huge holiday staples in my house. My favorite is latkes with applesauce. My mom and I make hamentaschen almost every Passover but it took me years of Sunday school to figure out the dough.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so great, I wish Smith had debates like this one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is fascinating- historically as well as the modern day debate (that has a short history as well). I never knew such a debate existed.
    I believe I must have tried a version of latkes but they were called 'potato pancakes' (from a Polish recipe) which I suppose you could say is the same thing but a quick check shows some bloggers would disagree! Even if the ingredients are identical the preparation might be different, though they too are served with apple sauce and sour cream!

    ReplyDelete