Sunday, March 9, 2014

Team-Paleo vs. Team-Vegan (Birthday Style)

The first day of Spring break (March 14th) is my dad's birthday. We are super close and I always go all out. This year we have been talking a lot about different fad diets, he's a weight watchers fan, and have come to a disagreement, paleo vs. vegan.
 
He is pro-paleo, anti-vegan. I am pro-both, leaning towards vegan, I think?
 
The only problem is he isn't anti-vegan, he just loves yogurt too much to understand how anyone could give it up. And I think I see good points in both, but honestly change my mind everyday about which is "best." As I am sure you can tell we both need to read-up a little.
 
This is where my brilliant idea comes in, not to toot my own horn or anything, I'm just really excited.
 
Cookbooks! Its the perfect present. One paleo, and one vegan. After a lot of amazon searching I settled on Veganomigon (sound familiar from the muffin recipe?) and Nom Nom Paleo.


 
To really boost the stakes, I will also be making him birthday cake, well, cakes. One from Veganomigon and one from Nom Nom Paleo. I have decided on Coconut Lemon Bundt cake for team-vegan and Pumpkin Cake for team-paleo.
 
My dad has a slight bias in favor of pumpkin, so that may be problematic, but I'm pretty sure by the end of his birthday he may be persuaded to open up to vegan cooking.
 
May the best cake win!

3 comments:

  1. I love this idea! You could, if you want, do a comparison of the two diets for your research paper...

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Veganomigan cookbook is awesome! I borrowed it from a friend once during a vegan phase and it had delicious and creative recipes. Unfortunately I did not stick to it, but I do still try and be mindful about what I'm eating.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am in total agreement with your dad! Sometimes I think about starting on a vegan diet. I've done it in the past and it's not impossible, but since I practically live on yogurt there's no way this could happen, not at Smith at least. It's funny because I've managed to give up meat and I support the idea of just because it tastes good doesn't mean you should/need to consume it (for your health or the life of the animal), but hypocritically I haven't been able to apply this idea to yogurt (and eggs.)

    ReplyDelete