Monday, March 31, 2014

Banana Bread and a Happy Family


bought a huge bunch of organic bananas from Whole Foods this weekend and thought I would make my family a yummy mobile breakfast in the form of Banana Bread. I typed “banana bread” into Google and looked for a recipe that consisted of the ingredients I currently had on hand. I ended up with one from Martha Stewart’s Kitchen it is called Easy to Bake Banana Bread Recipe.

½ cup butter (1 stick)
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 ½ cups flour
1 tea baking soda
1 tea salt
1 cup bananas (very ripe, mashed)
½ cup sour cream (light)
1 tea vanilla
½ cup chopped walnuts

 

Anyway, I had most of the ingredients but not enough patience or time to follow the all of the methods and instructions that Martha had listed, so I improvised. I started with butter, sugar, eggs, vanilla and sour cream, all in first. Mixed well. Then to the same bowl I added flour, baking soda, salt and my addition cinnamon, mixed well once again. Finally I added the bananas and mixed one last time.

I didn’t stop to take pictures, only at the end. But, I did grease and flour my stone loaf pan. Then I poured the batter into the pan. I had mixed nuts instead of walnuts, so I chopped them up and covered the top of the batter. I placed it in a 350° oven for 1 hour and approximately 10 minutes, just as Martha told me to do.

Once the timer went off, I pulled it out of the oven and this is what I found.

 

 

A perfectly cooked banana bread that smelled of warm toasted nuts and cinnamon! I let it sit for about an hour to cool down. Loosened up the sides with a butter knife and gently tipped the loaf pan over hoping it wouldn’t stick. I sliced and the middle was moist and slightly steaming from still being warm.
I will have one happy family in the morning.
 
 
 

3 comments:

  1. What a lucky family, that looks fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, that does look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm always extremely weary when a Martha Stewart recipe is called "Easy...". What Martha calls easy usually takes 6 hours, some foraging and lots of embellishment. But this recipe looks neat! I love the aesthetic of your banana bread with all the nuts.

    ReplyDelete