Sunday, March 2, 2014

One Pot Meal

Growing up my brother and I were extremely picky eaters (thank god I grew out of that stage of my life, though my brother is still working on it). 
The following recipe is for a meal we would actually eat, and both pester our mom to make. 
To this day it's still one of my simple favorites and reminds me of bonding with my brother. 

Tortellini and Broccoli:



4 cups fresh tortellini (my mom would use tri-colored tortellini to jazz it up for us kids)
2 cups broccoli florets
1/4 cup pesto
2 TB soft butter
Salt 
Black pepper
Parmesan

Heat water in large pasta pot to a good boil.  
Add the tortellini and cook for 5 minutes.
Add broccoli florets and cook for another 3 minutes.
Drain the pasta/broccoli, shake excess water and slide into a large pasta bowl.
Add the pesto and soft butter, salt and pepper.  
Toss well and serve immediately with extra parmesan for extra flavor and calories.

Feeds about 4-6 (depending on how hungry everyone is) and comes out looking a bit like this (picture once again taken off google images): 



When you don't have a lot of time to cook but are super hungry and need to eat, this is the way to go. Easy clean-up too! 

7 comments:

  1. Update: Coincidentally there was tri-colored tortellini in the dining halls for dinner tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tortellini is so, so good and this google-imaged picture looks delicious. I wish I could still eat tortellini! I should find a vegan recipe...

    ReplyDelete
  3. This combines three of my favorite foods: tri-colored tortellini, pesto, and broccoli. Thank you for this recipe, it looks delicious and easy (a great thing for beginners like me)!

    ReplyDelete
  4. One pot meals were always a staple in my house too when I was a kid. This seems like such an easy and speedy dish to throw together, but also a delicious comfort food that reminds me of home.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a recipe that all my girls would eat! They love cheese, pasta and surprisingly broccoli. Thanks for sharing, I will be trying this one soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so glad you included a photo- it looks delicious and I really would like to make this for myself, especially considering it doesn't require making tortellini from scratch! I'd like to try it with some chopped red peppers and red pepper flakes to make it spicier.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I need to show my mom this recipe. I love broccoli especially covered in cheese, but my sister, like your brother, can be picky when it comes to her vegetables. We call her the pasta queen because I am pretty sure she could eat pasta every day for dinner if we allowed her to. This recipe is one that the whole family would enjoy.
    Stacey, I totally agree. I would add some spice to my bowl.

    ReplyDelete