Sunday, March 9, 2014

Fictitious Dishes by Dinah Fried


Writer and graphic designer Dinah Fried published a book in 2014 called Fictitious Dishes in which she captured photographs of different table settings. Dinah herself created the table settings, using both food and decorations,  to depict what the main characters in selected novels, like Alice's Adventures in Wonderland or Oliver Twist, would eat. 


The project is wildly creative in that it is so simple yet unique and the table settings themselves are beautifully crafted. My task was to dig through the various novels (online, of course) that Dinah chose to represent in her book and single out quotations that may have been used as inspiration for the dishes and place setting.


(All images come from Dinah Fried's site http://www.dinahfried.com/fictitious-dishes/)



Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll

“Take some more tea," the March Hare said to Alice, very earnestly.
"I've had nothing yet," Alice replied in an offended tone, "so I can't take more."
"You mean you can't take less," said the Hatter: "it's very easy to take more than nothing."
"Nobody asked your opinion," said Alice.” 


Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens
"The evening arrived; the boys took their places. The master, in his cook's uniform, stationed himself at the copper; his pauper assistants ranged themselves behind him; the gruel was served out; and a long grace was said over the short commons. The gruel disappeared; the boys whispered each other, and winked at Oliver; while his next neighbours nudged him. Child as he was, he was desperate with hunger, and reckless with misery. He rose from the table; and advancing to the master, basin and spoon in hand, said: somewhat alarmed at his own temerity:
'Please, sir, I want some more.'"

The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath
"Avocados are my favorite fruit. Every Sunday my grandfather used to bring me an avocado pear hidden at the bottom of his briefcase under six soiled shirts and the Sunday comics. He taught me how to eat avocados by melting grape jelly and French dressing together in a saucepan and filling the cup of the pear with the garnet sauce. I felt homesick for that sauce."

The Catcher in The Rye by J.D. Salinger
"Usually I just drink some orange juice. I'm a very light eater. I really am. That's why I'm so damn skinny. I was supposed to be on this diet where you eat a lot of starches and crap, to gain weight and all, but I didn't ever do it. When I'm out somewhere, I generally just eat a Swiss cheese sandwich and a malted milk. It isn't much, but you get quite a lot of vitamins in the malted milk."

On the Road by Jack Kerouac
"I ate apple pie and ice cream—it was getting better as I got deeper into Iowa, the pie bigger, the ice cream richer."

Swann's Way by Marcel Proust
"... when one day in winter, on my return home, my mother, seeing that I was cold, offered me some tea, a thing I did not ordinarily take. I declined at first, and then, for no particular reason, changed my mind. She sent for one of those squat, plump little cakes called "petites madeleines," which look as though they had been moulded in the fluted valve of a scallop shell. And soon, mechanically, dispirited after a dreary day with the prospect of a depressing morrow, I raised to my lips a spoonful of the tea in which I had soaked a morsel of the cake. No sooner had the warm liquid mixed with the crumbs touched my palate than a shudder ran through me and I stopped, intent upon the extraordinary thing that was happening to me. An exquisite pleasure had invaded my senses, something isolated, detached, with no suggestion of its origin."

Moby Dick by Herman Melville
"Queequeg," said I, "do you you think that we can make supper for us both on one clam?"
However a warm savory steam steam from the kitchen served to belie the apparently cheerless prospect before us. But when that smoking chowder came in, the mystery was delightfully explained. Oh! sweet friends, hearkening to me. It was made of small juicy clams, scarcely bigger than hazel nuts, mixed with pounded ship biscuits, and salted pork cut up into little flakes! the whole enriched with butter, and plentifully seasoned with pepper and salt. Our appetites being sharpened by the frosty voyage, and in particular, Queequeg seeing his favorite fishing before him, and the chowder being surpassingly excellent, we despatched it with great expedition: when leaning back a moment and bethinking me of Mrs. Hussey's clam and cod announcement, I thought I would try a little experiment. Stepping to the kitchen door, I uttered the word "cod" with great emphasis, and resumed my seat. In a few moments the savory steam came forth again, but with a different flavor, and in good time a fine cod-chowder was placed before us."




-Stacey Ladusch

3 comments:

  1. I love this project SO much. It combines two of my favorite things- food photography and classic novels. I can't wait to buy the book in April. Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is beautiful! I always imagine the taste and look of dishes described in my favorite books. What a cool project!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fantastic idea. I wonder what influence the authors choice of place settings and table cloths.

    ReplyDelete