Sunday, March 9, 2014

Tell a story on a plate

As an avid cook, I regard cooking as a way to express love and kitchen as a place to create. So, innovative food arts that full of love are always appealing to me. One of my favorite food artists is Samantha Lee, a Malaysian stay-at-home mom. She started making food art in 2008 when she was pregnant with her second daughter. In order to let her elder daughter eat independently after the arrival of the second one, Samantha began to create food that has both nutritious value and extremely cute appearances that the kids would like to eat.

Pictures all from Samantha’s website http://www.leesamantha.com/

Batman made by rice, seaweed and cheese

Merida with pasta for hair

rice koala hugging a omelette tree with lettuce leaves

Harry and Hedwig!

 Samantha says on her website that “ scissors, knives and toothpicks are my tools. I like to make something practical, something for everyone to be able to follow” However, with creative and detailed designs, these tools could turn ordinary ingredients like rice, vegetables and eggs into both delightful and tasteful dishes that tell stories and thus make eating, a painful experience for some children, a fun exploration. 



6 comments:

  1. These are so amazing! I wonder how long it takes her to make one, and how often she does it. There are days when I can just barely manage pb&j for my kids, I swear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a little kid, I'm not sure I would have eaten that! Not only are they perfect and beautiful, but they're of favorite characters I wouldn't want to eat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My girls would love for me to serve them dishes like these. If only time allowed!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are beautiful but it must take so long to make! The idea that it would vanish the second the kids got to it makes me cringe slightly, even though I know that's what they're ultimately for.

    ReplyDelete
  5. these are so impressive...I'm with Professor Eddy how the heck does she manage to create so many beautiful plates>>

    ReplyDelete
  6. This reminds me of Kelsey's post (and maybe mine as well?) where artists are inspired to recreate food scenes in a movie or a book using food... but it will never actually be consumed! They look great but I can't imagine it tasting all that great. Not so much a commentary on the quality of the ingredients but if there was a face on my meal I don't think I could really enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete