Saturday, March 29, 2014

Vegan Lingonberry Bars

I was craving Linzer torte over spring break (a fantastic dessert that is, when I make it, essentially just raspberry jam in almond crust) but to my dismay I had NO RASPBERRY JAM. And this isn't even a case of me being lazy, I promise! It was 10pm, the grocery store was definitely closed, and I obviously could not wait until morning, so I decided to poke around my house for a substitute. It came down to three choices: raspberry jelly (no way it could ever be as good as jam, and likely would yield depressing results); blackberry jelly (the flavors from blackberry could've been fun here, as I like to consider them the raspberry's more intense dark lipstick-wearing sister, but again, jelly<jam); and lingonberry jam (one of many impulse purchases from Ikea simply due to the amount of fun I have poorly attempting say Swedish words- has anyone been looking for a Stenstorp or Förhöja? I know I have). Although I had no idea what the lingonberry was, let alone its flavor, I knew it was jam so it had to be at least slightly promising. To my surprise and delight, the jam tasted like a mixture between raspberry and cranberry! A+. Since I was already using a new flavor, I decided to be crazy and change up the crust as well, which let to my discovery of a recipe for vegan walnut crust. Perfect. By the by, the crust is so simple and delicious, I may or may not have eaten the majority of the first batch and had to make another for the topping.

Bars (adapted from Love and Lemons)
- 4 tbsp. coconut oil (hard)
- 1 c. flour
- 1 c. walnuts
- 1/2 c. brown sugar
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/3+ c. lingonberry (but really, you could use any fruit!) jam

Preheat oven to 350° F and line a 5 x 7 (or equivalent size) pan with parchment paper. In a food processor, pulse together the coconut oil, flour, walnuts, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt until it’s crumbly and moist. Take 3/4 of the mixture and press it into the bottom of the pan. Bake the crust for 10-15+ minutes or until the edges turn lightly golden brown. Remove from the oven and let cool. Add a bit of water to the remaining crumbly mix (it's about to become topping), and mix it gently with your fingers until thicker crumbs form. When your crust is cool, spread a generous layer of  jam, then add the topping. Bake for an additional 15-20 (but check it after 10) minutes. Let cool, then carefully lift out parchment and slice.

Processed with VSCOcam with f2 preset
Processed with VSCOcam with f2 preset
Processed with VSCOcam with t1 preset
Processed with VSCOcam with f2 preset
Processed with VSCOcam with f2 preset

2 comments:

  1. Ikea jam is delicious. I was skeptical at first because I couldn't pronounce ligonberry but it is also part of why I ultimately bought it, like you. Clever idea to mix it with other flavors. I'm definitely going to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reading the beginning of this post gave me a "taste memory" of a certain tart I couldn't quite name.. until I did a little Google search and came up with these: (Pepperidge Farm Verona Cookies)
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Pepperidge-Farm-Verona-Strawberry-Cookies-6.75-Oz/10535452

    But your recipe looks superior! I have no idea if it will taste the same but I am all for a less processed version of these ... "tarts".

    ReplyDelete