Sunday, March 23, 2014

Do not touch my donuts

Over the break I had the freedom of using my parents very well stocked kitchen to go crazy and bake things like chocolate chip cookies, blueberry muffins, and red bean buns. But on one fine day, I happened to be in Wegmans (only the greatest grocery store in the whole wide world - seriously, you people haven't lived unless you've shopped here) when I saw a doughnut pan calling my name as it was serendipitously on sale.

Running home with my new toy, I raced to my laptop and started scouring the web for a baked cake doughnut recipe. While there were some differing opinions on the oven temperature and baking time, I eventually settled on one and decided to put a spin on it: banana-walnut doughnut with a peanut butter glaze.

Da Donut Recipe (still not perfected, but turned out alright- adapted from Rumbly Tumbly)
*makes 6 doughnuts*

1 cup flour
1/4 cup + 2 tbsp granulated sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup buttermilk
1 ripe banana, mashed
1 egg, beaten
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tbsp of canola oil
1/2 cup of chopped walnuts

1. Preheat the oven to 350˚, lightly oil a doughnut pan
2. Combine all the dry ingredients in a bowl
3. Make a well in the middle - add the remaining wet ingredients. Mix until just combined, stirring in the walnuts near the end - batter should still be lumpy!
4. Spoon mixture into the greased doughnut pan, about halfway (give or take)
5. Bake for 12-15 minutes, until the doughnut springs back to the touch
6. Let it sit and cool, then pop them out and continue the cooling process on a rack
7. When completely cool, glaze them!

Peanut butter glaze: 1 tbsp of peanut butter (slightly warmed in the microwave), 1 tbsp of milk, 1/2 cup of powdered sugar, 1/2 tsp of vanilla extract - all stirred together until smooth and slow moving

To glaze them, I took a doughnut, held it upside down and swirled the top in the glaze. I then quickly turned it right side up and put them back on a cooling rack and sprinkled some more chopped walnuts. After a half hour the glaze should be smooth and they should be ready to eat! However, my father and I broke into them as soon as the glaze was on and they were still good, so in no way is that time dependent!


1 comment:

  1. That donut is a serious work of art! I always was curious about making donuts at home and thought the process would have to involved deep frying them (for some reason ?). I've never seen a donut pan but now i will be on the lookout. It would make a nice gift for the baker in my family.

    ReplyDelete