Sunday, February 16, 2014

A Roastin' Summer

Green chile: a staple in a New Mexican's diet.
Come July and August, the green chile has been harvested and the roasting begins. Sold in scratchy burlap sacks and found in every grocery store in town, green chile is one of the more enjoyable things in the midst of the blistering New Mexico heat.
Townspeople purchase massive amounts of chile and then wait for it to be flame roasted in steel-tumblers outside the store. I've known people that have stood almost three hours for their turn to watch their fiery green gems turn over and over as their taste buds yearn for the smoky and bold flavor that awaits them.


The smell is the most distinguishable thing about this time of year. The chile's fragrance diffuses through the whole town, comforting the natives and possibly confusing the tourists. Its perfume-like qualities remind me that I am home.

Once back in the kitchen, the possibilities that lie ahead of you and your chile are endless, from green chile stew (a mouthwatering classic) to green chile enchiladas. Many people in New Mexico have a storage freezer solely for saving green chile to use year round (I promise I'm not exaggerating).



This recipe is for chilaquiles, one of my favorite breakfast foods.

1 handful of chopped roasted green chile 
2 eggs
2-3 corn tortillas
Grated cheese (I usually use white cheddar)

1. Chop the tortillas into small pieces and toss into a pan with a little bit of oil. Add the chile once tortillas begin turning golden brown. 


2. Scramble the eggs in a bowl and add to the pan. 


3. Pile on cheese. 


Simple, quick, and so tasty. I like to top this breakfast off with some Cholula hot sauce. Definitely beats a bowl of cereal.




11 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for this recipe, I think savory breakfast foods are the best. Chilaquiles definitely beat the average breakfast burrito too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The little background story about the green chile's importance to New Mexicans was beautiful, and the imagery was fantastic! I'm thinking I'll need to get a good recipe for that green chile stew.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This topic was wonderfully unique among the many sweet recipes. Different cultures have so much to offer, specifically delicious breakfast options!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Next time try it with homemade tortillas! Flour, salt, and lard (or oil if you're all healthy and stuff). The easiest and most delicious thing in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your writing makes me wish I could go home to New Mexico with you, so I can smell the roasting of the green chiles. I really enjoyed reading this blog and I can't wait to try this simple yet delicious recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would love to try this for a 'breakfast for dinner' affair and I'm sure you can get creative with the toppings for a dish like this. Do you have any other recommendations for types of cheese to use besides white cheddar?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your descriptions and imagery are beautiful, and I especially liked how you connected it back to how the chile roasting is traditional and special to New Mexico.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is really interesting to see how varied recipes can be while still being called the same thing- at every Mexican restaurant I've been to in California, Chilaquiles are made with jalapeno and tomatillos. Also, since Stacy asked for cheese recommendations, I usually use queso fresco (though I don't know how easy it is to find here), or sometimes mozzarella.

    ReplyDelete
  9. For some strange reason, the second picture won't load on my computer. Other than that, your post was very beautiful. I loved your back story about green chilis.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like how you connect the recipe with the back story about green chilis!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm glad someone else shares my love for savory egg dishes in the morning. I had not thought of chopping up tortillas and toasting them in a pan. Maybe I'll try that when I get home in the summer.

    ReplyDelete