Sunday, February 23, 2014

My Obsession with Icing

My Mom and I have baked together ever since I can remember. When I was little this usually meant adding ingredients my mother had already measured out and anxiously awaiting the bowl after my mother had put its contents into the oven and left over just enough for me to scrape some up to try. For our birthdays, she’d make brownies, Mississippi mud, apple spice cake, or our family’s signature birthday cake – a triple layer golden cake with brown sugar caramel frosting. They were delicious and (usually) simple. Just like my grandmother, my mother took a very “no frills attached” attitude towards the look of all her dishes. I however always made sure that my presentation was spot on, though I didn’t sacrifice flavor for appearance.

My first buttercream rose




My great discovery in my freshman year of high school, or 9th grade as it is called in Germany, was buttercream. It was magical. I bought a couple American cake cookbooks, pieced together the ingredients that were available to me, and dove headfirst into the world of decorating. 



First time making and using marshmallow fondant










That year, I made all my friends cakes for their birthdays, experimenting with new techniques every time. Soon thereafter, I discovered fondant and royal icing, both of which I made at home.






My sister's wedding cake for a small reception of 25 people






I taught myself how to pipe roses, shells, swirls, leaves, edgings, and anything else I could think of. Soon I became the designated cake baker in my family, made some cakes on commission, and even got to make my older sister’s wedding cake.










To this day I love decorating cakes, cookies, cupcakes – anything that requires an icing of some sort. I could spend days baking and subsequently decorating my creations; I would never tire of it. Maybe, just maybe, I could create my future out of that. For now, I’ll stick with college but maybe I could go to culinary school instead of grad school. Who knows…






















6 comments:

  1. Francesca, these decorations are gorgeous! I have never had much success with homemade fondant. The wedding cake was especially beautiful. I love how cookbooks can totally change your interests and ignite a passion for certain projects. Pretty pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are incredible! I love piping, it turns food into art. If there is any extra time in class maybe you could give us all a mini-lesson? I'm inspired to learn!

    ReplyDelete
  3. your buttercream flowers are absolutely beautiful! I too have an obsession with buttercream (vegan) decorating tricks but can so far only do roses. I second Kiraleah's suggestion, I'd love to learn all your techniques!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved how you placed all the pictures and sentence combinations. The whole blog flowed super nice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. Everything looks so beautiful! I'm very impressed, especially with the rose! I've never been good at frosting, but I've learning to make roses with just about every kind of candy/some fruits. If you're interested, I would love to do teaching exchange with you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You mentioned buying an American cake cookbook.. Do the techniques and ingredients vary greatly between American and German cakes?

    ReplyDelete