Monday, February 17, 2014

My Jewish Valentine

Ever since I was young, I have always loved the tradition of Challah baking. There is nothing better in the world than the smell of rising bread. However, this year, I am far away from the baking paradise of my friends and family. As soon as I got into the rhythm of college, I readily joined Hillel (if not for the services, then definitely for the baking as sense of belonging.) Tired of three years of baking, my new friend was delighted to find such an eager first-year to take on her job. With a small amount of guidance and new recipes, she recommended that I take over the baking. 

I quickly learned the favorite recipe of fellow Smithies, and ventured on to learn new things. For my friend's sake, I was inspired to find a recipe for the perfect vegan Challah. Then, after weeks of unsuccessful or not-quite-there-yet bread, we had a guest speaker* come in with just the recipe I needed. 

However, the challenge had just begun. Valentine's day this year happened to fall on a Friday, which meant Challah! But I couldn't just bake the same bread that we serve on any other day! Valentine's day had to be special and that would be a challenge. I set out to find a way to braid heart-shaped Challah. I found an amazing blog with just what I needed! 


Recipe for vegan Challah:

Ingredients: 
  • 3 cups warm water
  • 6 Tbs. finely ground flax seed (egg substitute) 
  • 1 1/2 Tbs. yeast 
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup canola oil
  • 1 Tbs. salt 
  • 8 cups white flour
  • sesame/poppy seeds for topping
  • 2 Tbs. concentrated black tea (I prefer Earl Grey)
  • 1 Tsp. flax seeds
  • optional: for sweeter Challah add 
    • 1 Tbs. of cinammon 
    • 1 Tsp. of cardamon
    • 2 Tbs. of sugar
Instructions:
  1. Add warm water into a large bowl. Stir in flax seeds. Let stand for 30 - 60 minutes.
  2. In a separate cup/bowl, combine concentrated tea and flax seeds. Set aside to use as glaze.  
  3. Add yeast to water and let dissolve for a few minutes. 
  4. Add sugar and stir.
  5. Add canola oil and salt. 
  6. Mix in 2-3 cups of flour. 
  7. Keep adding flower until the dough is no longer sticks to your fingers (about 8 cups). 
  8. Knead dough until there are no lumps and the dough feels smooth. (your hands will be tired!)
  9. From dough into a smooth ball.
  10. Grease a bowl with margarine. Put dough in bowl, then flip dough (to get margarine on both sides). 
  11. Cover bowl with damp towel and put in a slightly warm place to rise. Let rise until doubled in size (about an hour). 
  12. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. 
  13. Bread your dough, then put loaves on a greased baking sheet. Make sure to leave plenty of room between them to rise. Cover with a damp dish towel and let rise until doubled in size. (about 30 mins)
  14. Bake loaves until slightly golden (about 25 minutes).
  15. Take loaves out and glaze with tea/flax seed liquid.
  16. Bake for another 5-7 minutes. 
*Bread and Torah event. Pics:



Heart Shaped Valentine's Day Challah:




14 comments:

  1. Challah is easily one of my favorite foods! I've never had a vegan version of the bread, but I do love baking with Earl Grey tea. I'll definitely be trying this recipe out soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you made vegan challah!! I read it couldn't be done, but this post gives me hope.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love hanging out at Hillel! I'll see you around after my season ends! This looks really yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This brings me home! My mom and I make raisin challah together. I'll be sure to show her these other delicious options.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how your recipe ties into deeper themes of culture and belonging. Are those sticky buns above the final picture I see...?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they are! Those were honestly the best thing I have ever created!

      Delete
  6. The heart-shaped challah looks really delicious! I would like to try this recipe sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This recipe and the pictures were really appealing. I'll have to stop by Hillel sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I feel like I'm missing out! I've never had Challah.
    I live in Dawes, so I am connected to the Kosher kitchen and have been invited the student cooks (who know me) to join in the preparation or consumption of the Friday night dinners. I definitely need to go one night before I graduate!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'd never thought much about how dietary restrictions could impact someone's religious experiences, and I think it's really great that you found a solution in this particular case. Also I love anything that incorporates tea, and this really sounds like it would be delicious-- not at all a lesser substitute for the real thing, as I feel like is sometimes the case with vegan recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I see why that's a Smithie favorite. The Challah looks and sounds delicious! I agree with what everyone has said so far. It's so great that you have been able to connect with others through food, as well as, include others by using a vegan recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have never made Challah before, but I really would love to. Your dedication to creating a vegan version of this is truly remarkable.

    ReplyDelete