Saturday, February 15, 2014

Snow Day Cooking



This past week, as I was on the verge of a stress breakdown over my senior thesis, the college administration gifted us with a snow day.  This was a double blessing for me. First, as you may know, snow days are an excellent excuse to temporarily ignore your responsibilities and catch up on some solid laying in bed and watching television. Second, it meant I had no motivation to leave the house in the cold to go to the dining hall, but had the time and energy to actually cook for myself for once.

For lunch, I decided to do a quick pasta sauce experiment with the Pesto Gouda cheese I'd recently picked up from Trader Joe's. I love creamy sauces, but I've had trouble in the past producing a creamy pesto I was happy with. Fortunately, my impulse was correct, and this came out just the way I hoped it would.


Pesto Gouda Pasta Sauce:

I started with a basic white sauce recipe: two tablespoons butter mixed with two tablespoons flour to form a roux, then a cup of milk (I used whole because it's what I had on hand, but at least for me it's not terribly important what kind you use) whisked in until thickened. I grated the pesto Gouda (very fine, as Gouda has a tendency to melt unevenly) and essentially continued to add it to the sauce until it was the proper taste (I would guess I put in about a cup). After taste testing, I finished it off with a little bit of pepper and some Parmesan. A healthier person who wasn't cooking based on whatever happened to be in their college mini fridge would probably add some vegetables at this point, maybe some sauteed eggplant, onions, mushrooms, and red pepper, but I just put it straight on the pasta.
Time: ~10 minutes
Serves 2 very hungry college students.
No pictures because it was eaten too quickly.

In the evening, I decided to go with something a little heavier in the protein and vegetable department, falling back on another simple recipe that I often make at home: a meal my friend Michael likes to call "Dinner Nachos." Growing up in Southern California, where there's a Mexican restaurant on every corner, this is familiar cuisine for most people, but a standard plate of nachos usually consists of chips with melted cheese and jalapenos, not terribly different in nutritional value from the nachos with cheese sauce which can be obtained at sports games across the country. In my family, we make sure to make a more complicated version so they can actually count as a meal.


"Dinner" Nachos:

First, preheat your oven to 350. It's especially important to do this if your oven is really old and takes forever to heat up and you want to get dinner on the table quickly, because the prep work on this doesn't take long. Then, pick your chips to use as a base. Normally I'd use regular corn tortilla chips, but I happened to have some Black Bean Quinoa Tortilla Chips, so I spread a layer of those on the bottom of my glass pan (select your pan size based on how many people you're trying to feed- I used a 13 x 9 for about 4 people). On top of that went half a can of drained and rinsed black beans, and a few handfuls of Mexican blend shredded cheese. Normally at this point I would also add some black olives, but as one of my friends is incredibly averse to them, those were saved for adding at the end. Repeat this process to create a second layer of chips, cheese, and beans. Then, it's time to bake, for about 10 minutes or until the cheese is melted to your liking. While your nachos are baking, cut up some cherry tomatoes (about a cup) and avocado (two), which can then be put on top of your nachos when they come out of the oven. After you've divided your nachos up into individual portions, you can add the much feared black olives, as well as some salsa.

Time: ~20 minutes
Serves 4, and best consumed on a picnic blanket in your hallway in the middle of a snow storm
Serving suggestions include Thin Mints and Capri Suns (not pictured)


12 comments:

  1. I love the idea of Pesto sauce made from pesto-impregnated cheese! It's snowing again right now, and I'm dreaming up my own snow day treats...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pesto Gouda cheese sounds like everything I've been waiting for. How great would it be on a grilled cheese sandwich with fresh tomato sauce?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I told you this in person, but these nachos look spot on. I love avocado and I miss it! Is that bad that I can totally advocate for local eating, but when it comes to avocados and bananas, I'm a little stubborn?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's moments like these where I question my veganism.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My favorite part of this may be that it was accompanied by Thin Mints. Talk about a perfect picnic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Serving suggestions include Thin Mints and Capri Suns (not pictured)" - hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A massive bowl of cheesy and pesto-y pasta is literally my heaven. And the nachos look great too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That pesto gouda cheese looks delicious, I will definitely have to pick it up the next time I'm at Trader Joe's!
    It seems that you are very conscious of the friends you're serving, both in the sense that you are aware of their tastes but also that they give you reason to cook and share that meal. A snowstorm was a perfect occasion to cook not only because you had enough free time, but because you saw the day as an experience to bon (perhaps?) and what better way to do that than over food.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I liked the way you wrote the recipes. It was incredibly accessible and easy to follow. Again, like others have also said, the thin mints and capri suns accompaniment was the perfect ending.

    ReplyDelete
  10. There was a period in high school where I would make nachos like this everyday after school, its so good! First, when I glanced at the blog, I thought you were going to put the Gouda in the nachos. Now that could be a hit or miss. I'll have to try pesto Gouda pesto sauce. Pesto and cheese, yum!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love how you made such a plain and usually bland recipe (nachos) into something creative and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my, you've made me want to go out to Trader Joe's and get some of that pesto gouda. I would not have thought to make it into a sauce, as I tend to make cheese sauce with cheddar. Pesto is a tricky thing. I usually shy away from store bought ones because my family makes their own with basil from our garden, walnuts, parmesan, and olive oil. If we're having it with pasta, we'll add cottage cheese to the pesto to give it a nice creaminess.

    ReplyDelete