Friday, February 14, 2014

Really, I Just Wanted to Bake a Cake (Good thing it was Valentine's Day)

I made a gluten-free chocolate coconut cake today, and it was really more out of necessity than anything else. I am often left with bags of half-used ingredients from friends who come over to bake. This past week, I was left with coconut shavings, heavy cream, and a bowl of melted chocolate chips (the two former from chocolate truffles for a friend's valentine, and the latter from a house event). It was, therefore, my duty to use the ingredients, and considering the holiday, a totally appropriate moment to make a cake.

The product: Gluten-free chocolate coconut cake with chocolate ganache frosting and toasted coconut.
Adapted from: http://loveandduckfat.com/chocolate-coconut-cake-coconut-meringue-buttercream-frosting/
I can always count on the swim team to down any baked good I bring to the pool deck. Thankfully, this was no exception. This season I have alternated between gluten-free and egg free (one teammate has Celiac's, another has an egg allergy). Of the two, gluten-free is the hardest. I have tried to mix the perfect ratio of starches and nut flours. Unfortunately, my best result so far has been a pre-made gluten-free flour from the store with ingredients like Xanthum gum (what is that stuff anyway!?!). I had run out of the pre-mixed flour stuff, and instead threw together a ratio of coconut flour, tapioca flour, and potato flour. It sort-of worked... 

Flavor-wise, it was chocolate but not too sweet with the tropical vibe of coconut throughout. Texture-wise, I was not so happy. While it was moist and not at all dry, the cake was crumbly from the lack of beautiful gluten strands to hold the structure together. The cake was demolished in minutes, but I am always put into a funky mood after a baked good is less than perfect. I still have a lot to learn about gluten-free baking, and I cherish these learning experiences. I'm still thinking about the cake, and how maybe some things are just not meant to be vegan or gluten-free. 

Happy Friday and Valentine's Day! 

12 comments:

  1. As someone who has neither a gluten nor egg allergy, I am always curious to taste baked goods without these ingredients. I've used Xanthum gum before for milkshakes, and form what I understand, this thickening additive is a sugar produced from a certain type of bacterium.

    Are there any particular online sites from where you've gathered most of your gluten-free or egg-free recipes and cooking "education"?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always found gluten-free baking and cooking to be very tricky when it comes to getting the right textures. I recently made gluten free meatballs with almond flour instead of breadcrumbs (I did however use real eggs for binding instead of a flax egg or vegetable oil) and they tasted great, but as you experienced with your cake the consistency just wasn't what I was expecting. Clearly some experimenting in this department is in order!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had experimented with Xanthum gum also, not with great results. Although, the cake was crumbly it sure did look beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. this looks beautiful! kudos on the accommodations!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's so wonderful of you to consider your teammates dietary requirements. I've never tried gluten-free baking but you make it sound so accessible I may give it a shot.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gluten free is incredibly challenging for precisely the crumbly nature you discussed. My favorite GF chocolate cake recipe is 8 eggs, 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips, a pinch of salt, and a cup of sugar if that helps you in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the picture of your cake, it's so pretty! I am so clueless when it comes to gluten-free baking. I'm sure one day you'll find the perfect combinations to get the right texture.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is wonderful that you used half-used ingredients and make them into such an amazing cake instead of throwing them away. Also, I've never tried gluten-free cooking before, but your post makes me want to learn about it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're so brave to actually try working with gluten free flour- the only gluten free thing I know how to make is flourless chocolate cake and I am really intimidated to try anything other than that, but maybe I should give it a go.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never baked gluten free, but you make it sound so easy even with trying to incorporate leftover ingredients!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have never tried to bake GF goods. I wouldn't be disappointed in your results, it sounds like its extremely difficult to get the right consistency. And it sounds like it tasted good which means you won one part of the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm very impressed! Although vegan baking is my new favorite sport of sorts, GF cooking is way beyond my capability at this point! Your cake is beautiful and I'm sure your teammates were very grateful! By the way, xanthum gum is a food thickener created by bacterial fertilization. :)

    ReplyDelete