Thursday, February 27, 2014

Applesauce-Oat Bran Muffins for Class

One of my favorite childhood memories is making muffins with my mom. Appalled by the traditional school-provided breakfast options, we would make healthy muffins together every Sunday for a school week's supply of a nutritious breakfast on-the-go. Some of the best included banana peanut butter and zucchini raisin. Regardless of the flavor, I loved the process, and especially loved (love) licking off the batter covered bowls.

This leads us to muffins for class! When Lily put the delicious Applesauce-Oat Bran muffin recipe in front of me, I just knew it was perfect. I was excited to recreate a little bit of my old tradition for the class.

These particular muffins were from Lily's copy of Veganomigon. I highly recommend this cookbook, it is filled with tons of delicious recipes, all vegan, but if no one tells you, you'd never know it!

 
And now for the recipe...
 
Applesauce-Oat Bran Muffins
 
Makes 12
 
Ingredients-

  • 1/4 cup soy or rice milk
  • 1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
  • 1 cup unsweetened natural applesauce (I used homemade so it was a little chunky, delish!)
  • 3 tablespoons canola oil (or applesauce if you prefer)
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
  • 1 1/2 cups all purpose or whole wheat pastry flour (I used regular whole-wheat flour)
  • 3/4 cup oat bran
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup raisins or dried cranberries or dried apple pieces (I split the batter into two and did 1/4 cup of raisins in one half and 1/4 cup of dried cranberries in the other half)
Now comes putting it all together, I got so wrapped up in making them that I regrettably didn't take pictures of the process.
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and lightly grease a 12 cup non-stick muffin tin.
  2. In a large bowl, whisk together the milk of choice and apple cider vinegar; allow it to rest for 1 minute to curdle. Add the applesauce, canola oil, and brown sugar, and whisk to completely incorporate them.
  3. In a separate, smaller bowl, sift together the flour, oat bran, baking powder, baking soda, spices and salt. Fold the dry ingredients into the wet; stir only to moisten and don't over mix. Fold in the raisins (or substitute of choice). Use an ice-cream scoop or measuring cup to scoop the batter into the muffin cups.
  4. Bake for 28 to 30 minutes (mine took 30 but I checked them at 25), until a toothpick inserted into the middle of a muffin comes out clean. Allow the muffins to cool in the tin for 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to complete cooling.
This is what they looked like before I cut them in half...

 
 
...and here is after.

These delicious treats will easily last for at least a couple of days if not longer. If they become stale try dipping them in almond milk, it puts the life right back in them, and the nutty flavor is a great compliment.

Enjoy!

7 comments:

  1. They were amazing!! Thank you for the muffins and the recipe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nooo! I missed this class. They look great! I'll have to recreate this on my own.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They were SO good, Alex. Try making them! It's also really good to know about this cookbook, since I have a bunch of Vegan friends..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your muffins were amazing! Thank you very much!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing the recipe! (Also, should have known it was from Veganomicon, it's such a good cookbook- do you read Isa Chandra's blog? http://www.theppk.com/)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I appreciate the return the muffin as a treat that's the size of your hand opposed to those softball-sized muffins! I've never noticed cardamom in the grocery aisle but I'll have to search for it over spring break and try it out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi! Just an FYI, the original recipe in the book calls for 3/4 cup soya milk, not 1/4. :)

    ReplyDelete