Sunday, February 23, 2014

Cooking For My Classmates

Cooking For My Classmates
 
 I have never tried to bake anything vegan. I have to admit I was a little nervous to step out of my comfort zone of conventional baking with real butter and whole cream. After looking through many recipes, I decided upon Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes using the recipe below: 
 
Vegan Chocolate Cake (veganbaking.net)

  • 1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1/3 cup cocoa powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup warm water (or coffee)
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/3 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 teaspoon white or apple cider vinegar
 
 
Preheat oven to 350 °

I placed all of the dry ingredients into a mixing bowl (four, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt). The ingredients were blended well using a fork and I removed as many lumps as possible. I used a dark blend for the cocoa. I also added 1/2 cup of cocoa instead of what the recipe calls for, because I like a rich chocolate flavor in my cupcakes.
 Next, I mixed all of the liquid ingredients into bowl with the dry. I used coffee instead of water as the recipe suggested because why not mix two of my most favorite food items. I also added the vanilla extract, vegetable oil and vinegar. Once completely mixed, the batter had a thick and glossy appearance.
 

I filled the cupcake trays which were already pre-set with recycled cupcake liners. Each liner was filled to about 3/4 of the way full. Sorry there is no picture for this step, the kitchen got busy and I forgot. I slid the tray into the oven and set the timer for 30 minutes, per recipe.
I waited in anticipation to see how they were going to bake. My biggest worry was they wouldn't rise. I like my cupcakes to have a nice rounded top. The timer finally went off and I was pleasantly surprised to have these. I am excited to share my cooking experience with the class on Tuesday. 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
















 


 

 

7 comments:

  1. I'm so excited to try these! Great website too, lots of fantastic vegan recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful cupcakes!! and so nice of you to accommodate the vegan (ahem ahem). My usual chocolate cupcake recipe only uses three (and a little extra) tablespoons of cocoa but I loved how rich and chocolatey yours were!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Windy-- these were especially yummy Tuesday morning! I liked their density and their lack of typical cupcake over-sweetness. Delish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These were indeed delectable! So much so that they didn't even need icing. The taste reminded me of the chocolate part of the tofutti ice cream sandwiches. A great recipe for both vegans and non-vegans.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These chocolate cupcakes were extremely delicious and the sweetness was perfect. Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job! I could go for a second!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're cupcakes were absolutely delicious! Thank you so much for sharing them and your experience with us!

    ReplyDelete