Monday, February 17, 2014

Gorging and Gathering: the Merits of Local Burger


Despite the endless array of foreign food and fancy-pants bistro on offer in Northampton, my favorite reprieve from dining hall food downtown is Local Burger.




The menu is typical of a burger joint - fries, hot dogs, burgers - but with local beef, cleverly combined flavors (mayonnaise and buffalo sauce; Teriyaki and pineapple), Local elevates cheese-slathered, artery clogging American fare to the gourmet.

Last Saturday was my most recent Local Burger outing, in celebration of performing in The Vagina Monologues with a fellow cast member, one of my dearest college friends. Throughout an arduous day of final rehearsals, my friend and I were frequently eager to remind the other, “At least there’s Local tonight.” We both brought our off-campus boyfriends along with us, allowing our respective boyfriends to breach the crucial best-friend’s-boyfriend introduction. And there’s no better accompaniment for such a melding of beloved company than with greasy comfort food.

I ordered an old stand-by - a grass-fed with pickles, mayo, lettuce, and cheddar, well done. I’m hysterically fearful of bleeding red meat, yet a madwoman for burgers, so finding a burger that is brown throughout while simultaneously maintaining its tenderness and moisture is a daunting task. Local’s no-pink burgers provide this exact middle-ground, though, melting in your mouth and offering a delicious charcoal aftertaste. I particularly commend Local for offering a grass fed option, which only adds to the tenderness and lack-of-gaminess rare at burger joints. I don’t like to be too dogmatic about my food choices, but grass fed beef simply does not compare to Angus.


I was feeling pretty ravenous, so my burger was also accompanied by Mac ‘N Cheese bites, which are breaded clumps of macaroni and cheese served with a buffalo mayo. Never mind the magic worked with a deep fryer - merely the inception of the Mac ‘N Cheese bite process is clearly exceptional, because the internal cheese sauce tastes expertly crafted with the sharpest, softest, most indulgent cheeses possible. The sauce adds a perfect buffalo punch to the dish, and the combination of crispy bread crumbs with gooey Mac ‘N Cheese provides a perfect pair.

My friend got the sweet potato fries which come with a maple mayo and I was lucky enough to sample those, too. Normally, sweet potato fries totally gross me out - I’m a big fan of white potatoes, and make no mistake that Local’s regular hand cut potato fries are not to be missed - but these are more heavenly than the marshmallow-topped yams your grandmother makes for Thanksgiving. Maybe the concept of maple mayo sounds sacrilegious to you but the thick, egg-y spread combined with real-maple syrup transforms the two into a decadent glaze. The sauce is an excellent pairing with the fries, playing up the sweetness of sweet potatoes and providing a dessert-like side to accompany one’s savory burger.

For the vegetarian, Local also features a portabello burger (as in, the mushroom cap is the burger) and a veggie burger. If burgers aren't really your fancy, they also serve Captain Crunch-coated chicken fingers and hot dogs (all beef of course) - an ingenious exploitation of the popular cereals crunch and sweetness.
I sat atop of a cloud of utter delight during my whole meal. Even when I get so full that my jeans feel about to burst, I can’t resist any component comprising my little red-basket. My meal could only have improved had I ordered a Maple Valley milkshake.

13 comments:

  1. All I can say here is I love Local Burger and your descriptions were spot on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should write restaurant reviews for Northampton- just reading the first few sentences of your burger excursion had me starving!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Rebecca-you should definitely look into becoming a restaurant reviewer. I particularly loved "but these are more heavenly than the marshmallow-topped yams your grandmother makes for Thanksgiving" --what a great sentence. It was long for a post but the descriptions were great so I didn't mind at all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your descriptions really transported me, the metaphors are incredible. Now I'm dying to try Local Burger. Especially the sweet potato fries!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with everyone above, and as to your last comment, you're right! You should have had a milkshake. They're amazing and Local Burger deserves another visit for a shake and fries alone.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want those mac n cheese bites! I don't frequent local burger as much as I'd like to. When the weather warms up I'll have to head down there because this post had me craving a decent burger.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not a big fan of burgers or mac n cheese, but your post makes me want to head to Local Burger right now and try all those delectable food you mentioned.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Captain Crunch coated chicken fingers? I'm quite adventurous, but I'm not sure if I could imagine my chicken breaded in such a sweet way! I thought your post was a good review and descriptions innovative enough to where, even while I'm an old veteran, make me want to return.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Captain Crunch-coated chicken fingers - wow! I don't eat meat but I am entranced by this combination!
    Also, it's funny how meeting over food is easily seen as one of few activities that can ensure the least amount of 'awkwardness' when two strangers meet. There are so many things that can go wrong (in my personal opinion) when meeting a stranger at a movie theater, gallery, museum, etc. But at a restaurant/food joint? Perfect! Even if things get awkward you can't go wrong with staring at your food and exclaiming "Isn't this amazing!?".

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a great review! I'd just like to confirm that all the vegetarian options are great, and it's still my favorite place to eat in Northampton (which my family finds hilarious, considering the wide variety of vegetarian restaurants we have here).

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm probably reiterating what has already been said, but I love your descriptions! They are spot on! I always look straight to the burgers. I have never noticed the Mac 'N Cheese bites nor would I have ordered them if I had. Now, I have to try them. You've sold me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your descriptions transported me right into Local Burger! What a wonderful review of a local restaurant!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've never ventured out to Local Burger, but I guess I need to do so. This might sound a little odd, but I was fascinated by your description of meat. I've been a vegetarian for 10 years now and quite possibly never had a burger, as they are not common in Germany. My family, just like you, always insist on grass-fed, though they all swear by medium-rare to rare. I'll stick to my vegetarian options and head over to Local Burger when I get a chance.

    ReplyDelete