Saturday, February 15, 2014

Scones of Sovereignty

One could say that food operates with a monopolistic reign-we as a society have given it complete power over our relations with other nations, other people, and most particularly ourselves. 

This morning, I woke with a jolt and a headache. Sniffing loudly and groaning, I levered myself into a sitting position and glanced around the room. My roommate and her friend, snoring softly in the bed parallel to my own; the floor, littered with remnants of a Valentine's Day pick-me up gone rogue. Empty popcorn bowl, five jars of Indian spices, forgotten mugs, half-empy chardonnay bottles that SOMEBODY forgot to put in the fridge. Last night's clothing and, inexplicably, an iron. All this caused me to collapse once more with squeals of protest from the bedsprings. 

I thought about the day ahead, mentally rehearsing it down to the minute. Get up, inject coffee directly into bloodstream, write a paper without tearing out body-hair, go to work, summon secret energy resources for rehearsal, squeeze in a reading, go to roommate's performance, feign enthusiasm for after-party, sneak back to room and bury nose in homework. 

As I felt the anxiety of all these obligations creep stealthily up my throat like weasels on the hunt, I knew I had to do something to soothe my unease. Trancelike, I found myself grabbing a mug and returning to the room minutes later with a steaming cupful of hot coffee and soy milk. Once again, as if I was carrying out the orders of some higher power, I watched my hand pull out the bottom drawer of the desk. Hand stretched out in front of me, I watched it reaching for a Ziploc bag of day-old, whole wheat, lemon poppy seed scones. I nodded in agreement with the great ruler who was manipulating me and popped open a homemade jar of apple rosemary jelly. 
 
Whole wheat, *vegan* lemon poppy seed scones with lemon glaze. Homemade apple jelly with rosemary (pictured but unclear is the title my canning class gave this batch, "Flawless"-accurate).

Suddenly, I could feel the tension and anxiety sliding back down my throat, the marauding weasels having thought better of their attack. I proceeded to dip the crumbly, perfectly moist pastry into my coffee, wielding a jelly covered knife in the other hand. The brightness of the lemon and sugar was matched perfectly with the bland crunchiness of poppy seed and crumbles of pastry; the surface sweetness of the glaze and jelly paired seamlessly with the depth of whole wheat flour and rosemary. Textures and tastes exploded with the subtlety of a pyrotechnics show under water. 

I didn't know where the higher power had been directing me, but its course was true. The scones had eased (nearly) all my worries, and I could breathe easy. As I reflected on the authority of food, I felt the knots relax in my shoulders and the crazy glint diminish from my eyes.

Until I noticed the small mountain of popcorn kernels on the white shag carpet.


12 comments:

  1. You took a canning class! Brilliant! I learned from my mom, years ago, and from the lengthy section in Joy of Cooking. I do a lot of canning in the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where did you take a canning class? That seems amazing! As much as I cook, I've never tried attempted homemade jam/jelly and have always wanted to learn. Perhaps I'll try my hand at it over spring break, I've had this recipe bookmarked for months: http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2011/09/peach-butter/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoever decided to combine lemon and poppy seeds is a genius. Yum, and good to keep work and things in perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't it amazing what the perfect meal can do to turn your day around?

    ReplyDelete
  5. You employ amazing verbal devices that are rich in evocation. My favorite of these was " ...the marauding weasels having thought better of their attack."

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your writing is so vivid - I almost felt as though I was experiencing the relaxation achieved with the first bite.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with Catalina and it's also amazing that sometimes a bite of food could make us relax.

    ReplyDelete
  8. As someone else pointed out here in these comments, I admire the rich vocabulary you use to describe your sensory experience[s]. As Professor Eddy remarked in Thursday's class, a lot of food writing has less to do with accurately describing the tastes and more dependent upon the flow, the sound, the "texture" of the words we use to describe the food and our experience with it. You definitely achieved that here.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your writing style, and I'm dying to try that jam. I wish you'd shared the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the way you write! I think my favorite part was the ending, after relaxing you saw a "mountain of popcorn kernels on the white shag carpet". Brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was completely entranced in your writing. And I agree with Rebecca, that I absolutely loved that last line. Of course, that would happen after subduing your anxiety.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree with Chenxi and Catalina, it's amazing how a little good food can go a long way.

    ReplyDelete