Saturday, February 15, 2014

Crushes and Croissants

Yesterday, on Valentine's Day, my roommates and I decided to celebrate the most romantic day of the year with a viewing of Legally Blonde at Amherst Cinema. After the movie had finished, we stumbled out into the clear, cold air wondering what to do next. Jonesing for some hot tea, one of my roommates slyly suggested Amherst Coffee. I say slyly because she happens to have a bit of a crush on one of the baristas. As she is a frequent customer, they have evolved towards longer conversations and the occasional free croissant. Encouraging her with winking eyes and dancing eyebrows, my other roommate and I were too enthusiastic about this idea. This made her enormously suspicious. In the end, we had to manhandle her into the cozy cafe amongst her insincere protests.

Once inside, we headed towards the front to order, where her crush just so happened to be. Unfortunately she decided it would be a good idea to lead with, "So... what do you have that will make me less drunk?" After a chuckle he slowly said, "... like... um... croissants?" She laughed and immediately declined, but that’s when I took a stand. "Yes. She definitely wants croissants," I said with confidence. She hit me, demurely objecting again, and gave me a pointed look. However, I chose to ignore the message. I tried again. "She most definitely wants croissants. And scones. Do you have scones? We love scones. I mean she does." I had no qualms about being too obvious when it came to a chance at free food. 


After a raised eyebrow, he disappeared into the back. Taking this momentary disappearance, she whirled around and gave me yet another look. I innocently replied, "Well they're going to throw them out, it's almost midnight! So why not into my mouth!” She started laughing at my greed just as he returned, handing us a surprisingly hefty bag of croissants and scones. "THANKS!" I overzealously said as I grabbed the food and my other roommate and headed outside, ready to go home.


As soon as we were outside, we broke into a croissant. There was cheese in the middle and the buttery outside layers were was still crispy. Moaning with delight, we turned to watch them say goodbye through the window. We rolled our eyes at their awkward body language, but it was certainly entertaining to watch as we huddled over our food, trying to stay warm.





Finally she tore herself away and we walked towards the car whilst making kissy faces at her. Half heartedly trying to smack us, she gave up and grabbed a croissant instead. She scarfed it down, crumbs falling out of her mouth as she said, "Thank god, because I did actually want these."

13 comments:

  1. Amherst coffee was the first cafe I hung out in when I was touring Smith and exploring the surrounding areas! Such great coffee, but I haven't been in years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. After reading this post I have decided that I must try this croissant!! Although after paying for it, it might not taste as good as the ones you all received for free.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Breakfast pastries are best eaten in the morning or the late night! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cafe dude is literally trying to butter your friend up (croissants=butter+somedough). So fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great post, so much fun to read. Plus croissants and scones are my favorite so that certainly didn't hurt!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never had a savory croissant before but this looks divine.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Savory croissants are great. Spinach and feta is my personal favorite.
    I really enjoyed the story you told and how you brought it back to the food in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a fun story! I also went to Amherst last Saturday, and reading your post makes me want to revisit there just to have a croissant at the Amherst Cafe.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This reminded me of that section in Relish when the author tries to recreate those croissants she had in Italy. Not only can food taste better when it is enjoyed outside of your home in a special or different environment, but I'm guessing that the added benefit of it being free surely made it taste just a little bit more delicious. Thanks for the croissant recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad you could manage to help your friend with her love life and get free food in the process. Did you take that photo yourself? It's lovely, and is kind of making me rethink vegetarianism.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I completely agree with everyone, this was a fun read. I liked you encouraged your friend with "winking eyes and dancing eyebrows." It sound like you successfully enjoyed your Valentines Day.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Like everyone said, this was a great, uplifting story! Also, food and love stories always go well together!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It sounds like you had a fun and somewhat romantic Valentines day. Those croissants sound heavenly. I'll definitely be making my way over to Amherst sometime soon.

    ReplyDelete