Sunday, February 16, 2014

The Perfect Late Night Pick Me Up


I have a good friend, Esther, who I would say is an excessive online shopper. Her New Year’s resolution was to stop impulse buying. Although, I completely support her with this, I can’t lie that her impulse buying benefits all. Sure she likes to buy things for herself, but more than anything she likes to buy things for other people. Her top purchases are certainly food.



            So Saturday night, besides venturing out to watch the Vagina Monologues, I was for the most part stuck in my room doing work, anticipating the busy week I had before me. Typically Rally Day means catching up on work, but this year, as a senior, it means a full day of activities. So as I was sitting on my bed trying to figure out what in the world I synthesized in lab, I hear a knock and in walks Esther. In one hand is a box and in the other is a container. I swear she just knows when people need a pick me up (and also she just knows I love food).  In the container is chai mix, as well as, instant coffee packets. Although the packets are completely in Korean, I am pretty sure they say “Ingredients: sugar, sugar, creamer, instant coffee, and more sugar.”

She then opens the box and inside are white and milk chocolate covered espresso beans. The speckled outer shell of the bean was made of coffee-flavored white chocolate and the inside layer was made of milk chocolate. For a college student trying to stay up through the night, eating a cup worth may have been a good idea. For someone trying to go to bed relatively early, not so much. Either way, they are a nice sweet treat that are very simple to make. The only difference between those that Esther purchased and making them yourself is their appearance. It’s harder than it looks to make them into perfect shiny spheres of chocolate, so I am guessing some type of mold would be useful. However, if you are only in it for the taste, the steps are simple. Melt chocolate in a sauce pan, stir in the roasted coffee beans, mix until they are all coated, scoop out a handful with a wooden spoon and use a fork to transfer them onto wax paper. I personally like dark chocolate, but white or milk chocolate is also good (or you can experiment with mint or peanut butter or attempt multiple layers). You also have to decide what type of roasted coffee bean suits you because some are more bitter than others. Once they are cool, you can throw them in an air tight jar and give them to friends as gifts.   








 
(I did not take these photos, but I thought they worked well. All of Esther's coffee beans were eaten before I got the chance to take a photo.)





















12 comments:

  1. As much as I am a stickler about New Years resolutions, I completely agree I would not turn down chocolate covered espresso beans. I would have liked a recipe :-(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chocolate espresso beans are the best. I love decorating the edges of cakes with them, and sometimes I even put them in cocktails!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmm....chocolate espresso beans speak to my soul. The post was great, but it would've been easier to read if you had broken up the recipe, and had smaller paragraphs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chocolate covered espresso beans are my go-to present to give my roomie when she's having a rough day. Good to know that they're a well known gift to provide energy and relief.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chocolate covered espresso beans are heavenly. I really liked the tip about choosing the beans carefully as some are more bitter then others, I forgot about the variety of beans available and all of the delicious combinations. I would have loved the recipe too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the rustic look of the hand-battered beans!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A few years ago I had a bad experience with chocolate covered espresso beans, simply because I ate too many at once. However these pictures make me want to overcome my reluctance to eat them again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have never before thought of making my own chocolate covered espresso beans. They're usually semi-expensive for a tiny tin, but I thought the beans had to be of a special variety. Thank you for sharing this! It doesn't look too time consuming and would actually make for a nice, small gift for friends and family.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Chocolate covered espresso beans sound like such a luxury to me, but I like how they're not as hard as I thought to make. I don't even think I'd attempt a using a mold - it's probably even a little more chocolately since more chocolate might be added by my inexperienced hand. Fine by me! I think more chocolate does more to balance out the bitter taste of the espresso!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'd never even thought about making chocolate covered expresso beans myself, so that's another thing to add to my to do list. Also good to hear I'm not the only one who compulsively gifts food, especially when people are having a rough time with their work and need a pick me up.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This post sent my right back to my childhood! When I was little, my brother (who's 18 years older than me) used to always take me to a local coffee shop that had the best chocolate covered espresso beans! You inspired me to try and make them myself! I make homemade chocolate all the time, and this seems like a perfectly logical next step for some food adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your post made me realize that I have never thought of making my own chocolate covered espresso beans. I adore the store-bought ones, so why not make them myself? Out of curiosity, did you toast the beans before covering them?

    ReplyDelete