Friday, February 28, 2014

Food Growing Summit 2014


For those of us who are growers and not just eaters I recommend The Food Growing Summit. An online conservation with some of the most accomplished food activists. There are many interesting individuals who have amazing knowledge to pass on. The summit takes place March 3-7 and best part, it is free.There are two speakers in particular that I am very fond of and which I will be extremely excited to be listening to this upcoming week.





First, Vandana Shiva who is a environmental activist, eco-feminist and philosopher. She has fought for justice in so many areas and in my opinion a role model. She is a strong woman with strong ideas and has been rewarded many times over for her unbelievable work.





Second, Joel Salatin who is an organic farmer in Virginia. His family has been farming for many generations and he  owns Polyface Farm. Polyface is a closed-loop system and runs efficiently with Joel's unique farming and grazing techniques.  He has written many books and my favorite is Folks this Ain't Normal.




There are also many other speakers. So, if you are interested working to make our food system more just, accessible, and healthy, then you should sign up to take part in the summit. Just think you can grab a cup of tea, in your pajamas and still take part in these amazing conversations. I know I will be hiding somewhere quiet in my house for at least two nights, maybe three.

Peace, Justice and Healthy Food!



2 comments:

  1. This sounds so cool! Was Joel Salatin in Food Inc.?

    ReplyDelete
  2. ^ Yes, he was the pig farmer who didn't use the factory farming method. I've never heard of Vandana Shiva, but now I am curious to do a little research on her and her work. Thanks for bringing this to our attention Windy.

    ReplyDelete