Sunday, February 16, 2014





Comfort in Potatoes
        By the middle of winter, tasty fresh vegetables are in short supply and my taste buds long for the crisp snap of a ripe green bean or the sweet candy like flavor of a cherry tomato. The month of February brings many dinners consisting of root vegetables to my dining room table. I love winter shares of vegetables at my favorite CSA (Community Supported Agriculture), the root cellars have an earthy smell that to me is so inviting. The carrots, squashes and potatoes wait in hiding, longing to be discovered. In my many years of trying to eat only vegetables that are locally in season or vegetables that have been preserved for use over the non-growing season, one thing I have learned is there is always comfort in potatoes.
          My favorite winter potato recipes is as follows
Roasted Pesto Potatoes
v  Medium Potatoes of choice (I use whatever is left in the root cellar although Yukon Gold are the tastiest but quite expensive in the winter) I usually cook 5-6 depending on size
v  Light Extra Virgin Olive Oil
v  Coarse Salt
v  Coarse Pepper
v  2 Tablespoons Butter
v  2 to 4 Tablespoons Pesto (I recommend a favorite, Sauces’ n Love Vegan Pesto which is made locally in Lynn, MA and it is amazing)
 
Preheat oven to 400°, if a convection setting is available select convection roast, this will circulate the hot air to evenly crisp the outer parts of potatoes.
Wash all potatoes thoroughly, a brush is very helpful. Cut them up into uniform pieces, this will help the potatoes cook evenly.
Place them into a shallow baking dish and season with salt and pepper. If using recommended pesto make sure to mix super well before using, the oil separates from the pesto and needs to be mixed back in. Once mixed, add two tablespoons to potatoes and stir, if desired add one to two more tablespoons. Stir again to coat the potatoes evenly.
 
 
They should look like these
 
Place backing dish into the oven and set timer for 30 minutes. (This is potentially enough time to do many thing such as laundry, readings for class the next day, or maybe hanging around the oven and watching as the potatoes start transforming into crispy little presents with insides of warm buttery goodness)  
Once timer rings, remove baking dish and add the two tablespoons of butter, if you are Vegan this can be step can be omitted. Place back into oven.
Set timer for 15 to 20 minutes (This is the hardest step because they already look and smell wonderful but the extra time will make a huge difference.
Remove from oven when brown and toasty.
Transfer to serving bowl
 
 
 
They should now look like these
 
 
 
*Sweet Potatoes, Butternut Squash and Turnip can all be substituted (all available local in the winter months)
Happy Eating
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

12 comments:

  1. I love the idea of roasting vegetables in pesto instead of plain herbs! I can't wait to try this out myself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right there with you-potatoes are the absolute best. It's admirable that you eat mostly local, in season produce! That is my goal for the summer. Thanks for the fantastic recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are making me miss my mom's homemade pesto! Your description of the potatoes made my mouth water: "crispy little presents with insides of warm buttery goodness" YUM

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad someone shares my love of potatoes. There is nothing quite as comforting as a starch filled bite with a crispy shell. Whether its this delicious pesto or ketchup potatoes are the ultimate comfort food.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Potatoes are genuinely my favorite food. I've never tried them with pesto but obviously the combination is ingenious and pesto tastes good on everything.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This recipe looks so delicious. My mom frequently sells roasted potatoes at the family deli/cafe, but I'm going to suggest this recipe to switch things up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My friend and I were just talking about how much we long for springtime so that we can finally get our hands on fresh fruit and spring/summer vegetables. You have to be innovative to survive the winter and revamp old recipes to awaken your taste buds. I'm not a fan of potatoes but I do love pesto. I wouldn't mind trying that exact pesto and recipe on baked tofu or another absorbent winter vegetable.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I too, also miss the abundance of vegetables. I think this sounds like a great way to brighten up a winter staple, never have I had pesto potatoes before.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have a similar recipe I've been meaning to try for a long time, so hopefully this will inspire me to actually get to it! Potatoes are all I really want to eat right now anyway, so I might as well do something interesting with them!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You say that this is one of your favorite potato recipes and it sounds like it would be incredible. I'm curious to know what some other of your favorite recipes are.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That sounds absolutely delicious! I can't wait to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Winter is certainly a tough time for vegetables and fruit alike. My family likes to freeze fresh veggies in the summer for use when there isn't anything fresh in sight. I've never considered pairing pesto with potatoes. I might try it sometime, though my favorite is roasting potatoes with olive oil, rosemary, and coarse salt.

    ReplyDelete